Saturday, February 27, 2010

Shaping Women

My Aunt Creada Mae

My friend Linda is hosting a contest (see below on the Happy Woman Blog link). I know that by sharing this with you I am opening up the number of entries. That means, I decrease my odds of being a winner-winner, chicken dinner. But I love Linda and I love her idea of honoring the women in our lives.

Who is the Woman that Shaped Your Life:

This is my short entry:

There have been many women who have shaped the life I have today. Even those women who I do not like have played a role in me becoming me. I remember the kindness of a stranger when I was a little girl. I remember the gentleness of a Sunday School teacher who awkwardly but lovingly led our class. I remember the easy going hippy style of teachers while growing up in the 70's. My mom and daughters have naturally impacted my life. So have my friends. However, there are two women that stand out as influences in my life.

The first is my 9th grade Speech Teacher, Mrs. Nye. She saw something in me that I didn't even know existed. She really believed in me and pushed me to try new things. One of which was the stage. As an only child, that sense of make believe was one that carried me through many lonely weekends. With Mrs. Nye's direction I was able to create characters and roles in which my make believe could come alive. More importantly, the confidence I gained from this was the foundation for everything I would do from that point on.

The second is my aunt, Creda Mae. She is a three time cancer survivor. She has been a chaperon for her church youth group. They traveled the Outback- while in her 70's and in a wheelchair. She is the kindest, most honest, and most forgiving and loving woman I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. She has the faith of an angel and never let's the bumps of life stand in her way. She gives glory to God for all she has and does. When I grow up I want to be just like her! That goal is just about the highest bar I will ever achieve.

Assignment: Enter the contest (or don’t) but you better be thinking about those women who shaped you . . . .if you can, give them a call or send a note just to say hello. That includes my male readers too . . .you know who you are!

No comments: