Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Full Moon Maddness - Part Two

On Friday evening, Maddy told me that she had at least three offers from friends to do something on Saturday. She turned them all down because she wanted to spend some time with mom. Hum, Maddy is nearly 16 (March) so I first thought, what does she want; followed by what has she done, and finished with what does she want done?

But in truth we had been talking about spending the day together and so we did. We went to visit my mom which is always an interesting experience. Mom doesn’t really know who Maddy is but Madds is okay with that. Mom is always a little more animated when a child is with me – so she had some funny stories that cracked Maddy up. Alzheimer’s is a part of our life right now and I am glad Maddy is seeing the good, bad, and crazy that occurs.

Next was a trip to the mall. Have I mentioned how much I hate the mall? I hate the mall. I hate everything about the mall. Maddy loves the mall. We compromised with an hour long visit – and no smelly stores. Don’t do you hate when they turn up the heat and music while defusing their newest signature scent into the air – how does that work on young shoppers? It makes me near postal.

Finally, we closed our date with a chick-flick, When in Rome. It wasn’t a great film, dare I say it might not even be a good film but we had a nice time together. It was good to spend some one-on-one with Maddy. We did a lot of talking – and laughing – but more importantly, there were a few hugs in the mix too.

Assignment: Stare fear in the face – find a teenager to hang out with for an afternoon. It will open your eyes and change your life.

No comments: