Saturday, August 13, 2011

Surprise!

My work in the city has exposed me to a number of things that certainly spike my interest but really don't surprise me any longer. Hearing a man/woman in a lively (and loud) conversation with themselves? Please, that is a daily occurrence and most of the time . . .there isn't a bluetooth involved.

I once heard a man ask for some money from a stranger. Again, daily occurrence but I loved his angle "Listen I need a few bucks to buy some beer. I am coming down from a heroin high and I need to get something fast". Hum, the honest approach; it worked for Macy's in Miracle on 34th Street and it worked for this guy. I think we all respected him a little more that day.

The local "please my children are at home alone and my car is broken down" lady was once spotted actually flagging down a taxi. I don't know if she was really going home this time but I saw her get in the cab. Side note: Why is it I can recognized those people who ask me for money EVERY DAY but they can't recognize me? Isn't that an important skill set for that profession? Confession: Sometimes I give her a buck just because she does tell the story well.

Now this story . . . and it surprised me. Let me set the stage: It is a Friday afternoon on a hot summer day. I had to work late that night so I walked down to the local Subway for a late lunch/early dinner. The only people in Subway: me and the sandwich artist (their title not mine). I take a seat near the door and windows so I can listen to the news and scan my phone messages.

In walks a man with a bike helmet and no bike. I know he doesn't have a bike because I am sitting at the window. He orders a yogurt, walks over to my table, sits down, opens the yogurt, licks the top, and starts eating. No "hello". No "is this seat taken"? No "how you doing"? I finish up my business and leave without saying goodbye.

Odd right? Well here is where I get surprised. I come home to tell my hubby Tom what happened. This is our conversation:

Me: blah, blah, blah - the story I just wrote.
Tom: Did he sit across from you?
Me: No - across and to the side.
Tom: Oh, it would have been worse if he sat across from you. Maybe he just doesn't like to eat alone.

Okay . . . .(insert loud car brake sounds and tires burning) . . .back this up! I expected "maybe he thought you were hot" because that would have gotten Tom and eye roll and points. I thought maybe a "hell yes that is odd - you stop eating alone" because that would have made him feel protective. I thought maybe a "yeah - strange", ah, because it was! But never, ever, never, did I think "maybe he doesn't like to eat alone"!!!

Assignment: Just because you have lived, loved and been with someone for 23 years; you can still find surprise in your relationship.

No comments: