Thursday, August 11, 2011

Story Teller

I have always loved to tell stories. In elementary school my classmates and I created a game that I would later learn was called improvisation. Friends would give me three words and I would weave a story to keep us entertained and distracted from math.

Speech class was mandatory once I entered middle school so I was free to spin my stories with the teachers approval. My speech teacher grew to be a great mentor and positive influence in my life. She encouraged me to audition for the talent show and school theatre. Through theatre I not only had the freedom to tell stories but I had a warm and welcoming community of friends, a foundation for growing confidence, and hands-on experience that would later benefit my career.

Once I entered the world of non-profit, my joy for story telling took on a new meaning. The stories I shared had real faces, real families and real challenges, successes, and solutions. I was happy - this was my calling - but deep in my heart I hoped to someday come back to theatre. Then in a strange twist of fate and a number of circumstances that lead to a friendship, I learned of an opening at a local community theatre. I applied, I was offer the position, and for the past year I have experienced joy and career enrichment I didn't know possible. I am not on the stage but behind the scenes; telling the story of the importance of art in our communities. I am helping to share the magic of live theatre with thousands. I am blessed.

You may not believe in God but I have to tell you I do. I do because I am certainly not smart enough to link all the right people, circumstances, and skill sets needed to bring this story to this point in my life. If left to my own desire, I would be a comfortably kept woman on a sofa eating bonbons while watching soaps to fill the void in my life. No lie, my personal expectations have always been low. Thank God I have learned not to follow my own desire.

Assignment: You know that feeling that you have deep, deep inside telling you to do something, take action, follow this path instead of that path . . . .trust that you have been given all that you need and you will find purpose. Trust, Believe, and Listen.

No comments: