Tuesday, August 23, 2011

something to think about . . . .

This past weekend, Tom, Maddy and I took a day trip up north to visit with Tom’s sisters, brothers-in-law and mom at the lake. It was a cool day so instead of a trip on the water we watched some videos of days long ago. In 1999, Tom’s mom had an 80th (yes, she is 92 now) birthday party in Holden Beach, North Carolina and the family all came to celebrate. The whole thing was pretty much the definition of a perfect vacation. Tom’s brother-in-law Mike had just gotten a new video camera so he captured everything –EVERYTHING – that happened during that vacation.

As I watched a shy and beautiful five-year old Maddy or a camera seeking toothless six-year old Andy; I laughed and cried in happiness. However, watching Tom and I from 12 years ago was like time traveling. I cannot believe how different we have become in just such a short timeframe. Tom was at his athletic peak – those arms were cannons. His hair was dark and yes, you read that right, he had hair. I was fit and my arms and legs were trim. People!, I was wearing a two-piece . . on the beach . .in public! I had been remembering myself as a lean women in past years but this video confirmed . . .I have always had curves even when I was in top shape. We were young, tan, and athletic but what really stood out was how much energy we had.

You know when you go to an older persons home and see photos of them as a young adult; in their thirties and forties, . . .then you try as hard as you can to imagine that person in front of you and the life they lived and the person they were in a different time. Well, that is what happened to me – looking at myself – through the lens of a 12 year old camera.

Assignment: Live in the moment but share stories of your past . . . give them something to think about . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let's all watch the video!