Saturday, March 27, 2010

Travel Stories

I was recently in Kansas City, Missouri for a work conference. I didn’t have the opportunity to get out and ‘experience’ the city unless it was in walking distance of my hotel. I was in the town during a triple whammy: freak spring snowstorm, March Madness turnover (Kansas lost) and an insanely busy conference schedule.

Here are a few highlights:

The Escalator: When I was little escalators kind of freaked me out. My fear was that if I didn’t get off in time I would be trapped and sucked down. During this trip, I was getting ready to step onto an airport escalator when I heard a loud crash. I looked up to see a suitcase come tumbling down the moving steps. Quickly following was an older woman, also tumbling down those same steps. It all happened in slow motion. She had lost her grip on the suitcase and in trying to compose herself she slipped. She tried to balance on the rail but it was moving so it provided weak support at best. She was tumbling down the moving steps and the fear on her face was evident. One mom jumped into action and ran up the stairs to catch her. My traveling companion and I ran over to the escalator and hit the panic button to stop the movement. The dad who was with the mom just sort of stood there trying to figure out what city he was in. I hope that woman is doing okay; she was embarrassed, confused, and in pain from the fall.

Diner Out: I experienced a gourmet dream come true while on this trip. I have always wanted to enjoy a meal at a restaurant that is owned/operated by a famous chef. This is a little 4-1-1 on where I had the filling pleasure to dine.

ABOUT THE RESTAURANT

Lidia and Joseph Bastianich opened Lidia's Kansas City together in a former railroad house just north of Kansas City's historic Union Station. Designed by acclaimed New York architect David Rockwell, the restaurant evokes the feel of an Italian farmhouse despite its tremendous size. Lidia's Kansas City features a daily tasting of three fresh, homemade pastas, modeled on the popular pasta service at the Bastianich family's Becco in New York. Diners can also choose entrees such as roasted veal shank featured in a rich sauce lightened with fresh orange and carrot juices; frico, an envelope of Montasio cheese with a variety of fillings; or a beautiful grilled salmon served over braised lentils with a zesty chive-mustard sauce, just to name a few.

Simple Pleasure: I noticed something about myself on this trip. I get all-out giddy when I am approaching a new city. I truly get excited to see the skyline getting closer was our car draws near. It makes me remember times when I traveled with my mom and dad. We always traveled by car. There is just something magical about the skyline and endless possibilities it might bring.

Assignment: Find the Magic!

No comments: