Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

This year for Lent I gave up ‘extra’ spending. I know that our family is blessed many times over. We have all the material things we could ever want or need, yet like many, we continue to purchase. I thought making a concentrated effort to give up extra spending would be a good reminder of those blessings.

In truth I do not know how I did. I know there were exceptions here and their. I know Tom paid for some things I normally would have so our family would not have to ‘suffer’. I think I did okay but I was not perfect. I made mistakes.

During one point, in these past forty days, there was a time when I was feeling the need to fill my emptiness with a purchase. I remember negotiating with myself that one little ‘known’ slip wouldn’t be all that bad and it would make me feel happy. But I knew that wasn’t true.

I walked out of that store and took a long walk. I prayed while walking. I was led to understand what was making me feel this emptiness and sadness. I drew from lessons learned during a recent Bible Study: how even after forgiveness we can be tempted to feel insignificant because of our past transgressions. How that shame and self disappointment can lead us to make bad choices. As I prayed, that feeling of emptiness was filled with happiness and understanding.

Yes, I was not perfect with my sacrificing during this season of Lent - but on that day; my heart was filled with joy. I experienced Lent in the way it was intended. I gave up my control for Gods.

Assignment: Happy Easter - Rejoice!

No comments: