Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Road Rage Rant

It is Tuesday during a holiday week and if tonight’s drive is foreshadowing of what I will experience tomorrow then it is my duty to make this public service announcement. During my highway commute I hit my brakes more times that a student driver inching toward a stop sign for the first time. I am doing this in attempt to keep the roads safer for all of us. Plus, this is my blog and I will rant if I want to.

Let me begin be reminding everyone that the left lane on a highway is a passing lane. It is not, nor has it ever been, intended for cars to travel on for the length of their journey. If you are on the highway and you begin to notice cars passing you from the right, then it is time to turn off your phone, pull out your ear buds and shake yourself from slumber because you are IN THE WRONG LANE!

Next I will focus on the safety of stranded drivers. If you are approaching a car that has broken down on the side of the highway you must make every effort to give that car a wide berth. The last time I had a flat tire I feared for the tow truck driver’s life because the cars did not move or slow down. Seriously, move over!

For everyone who is trying to conserve gas by driving 55 on the highway, I am happy to inform you the minimum speed limit is actually 60 so ramp that engine up five more notches. I also ask you to be aware of the traffic around you. If the lane behind you is turning into a parking lot, please accelerate for a mile or two so cars can navigate past you safely. Come on, you can splurge on the possible $2.70 this speed will cost you! Do it for me. If you are in the left lane driving 60 MPH or less – then you need to take a pair of scissors to your license immediately.

Just so you don’t start thinking I am a lead foot, I want to say a few words to those of you who feel you need to ride my bumper. Do you notice that I am in the left lane passing the same car you want to pass? Do you think I am doing this to irritate you and that I will not return to the right lane? Didn’t you see me move from the right lane to the left? Relax; soon you can travel too fast to get to your destination. I love when we end up at the same place just a few seconds from each other. Don’t you feel foolish when that happens?

Lane weavers, please see those who select to ride my bumper. We always end up at the same red light together. Thanks for risking everyone life getting there.

Finally, just in case the weather changes for the worse. I want to address all of the redneck wannabes, the weekend cowboys, and those who believe SUV means Superior. Ultimate. Vehicle. Each snow or ice storm I see you race past the lane of cars that I am in and ultimately that line of cars ends up passing you when your truck is laying on its side off the road. Worse are the times you take other cars out with you. I know you want to be home, so do I. Please just assess the weather conditions and drive appropriately.

Okay, I feel better now. Thinking of this blog allowed me to defuse my building road rage. Thanks for listening.

Assignment: If you are on US31, I96, or 96 tomorrow during rush hour remember, I will be too. Drive safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving.