Wednesday, October 31, 2012

When Procrastination Scores a Win

One of the goals for this year (based on my birthday not the calendar) is to visit an art or cultural organization each month. I love art and culture but find that I can easily put off a visit for distractions of a more boring nature. I decided these visits would be a good addition to the improvement of me over this next year.

Today is the last day of October and my first month of implementing my new goals – and I am pressed for time. I waited till the last minute due to fictional and factual distractions and I am very close to scoring an epic failure. Not acceptable – so at lunch I headed out for an adventure.

I have been eyeing an area museum for a new exhibition they opened about a week ago. It looks amazing and it has one of my favorite artists on display. I popped in at lunch, without reading the website and found to my embarrassment – my membership had expired this past June (yep, distractions) and I only had $10 on me – no wallet, just cash. The entry for the museum and the special exhibition is $12 so I will be visiting that in November.

No problem, I will just head down to another museum to see their contemporary collection. Once I got there, I remembered that they have been forced to reconstruct their hours and was not open in the work day any longer. Hum, now my lunch clock is ticking away as fast as my calendar deadline.

With pure determination I forged on, across the park with a man sitting on the bench in a “Scream” mask (Halloween fun? – you never know) and I entered the library. The library is a historic and beautiful place – it has 5 floors of wonder. I spent my time on the 4th floor, which addresses local history. They had one of the most comprehensive and interesting displays on area high school football that I have ever seen.

The exhibition traveled from the late 1800’s to the 1950’s and it was filled photos, articles, and news clippings. In one article a memorial for a young player nicknames “Scottie” was displayed. Scottie died on the field in a freak accident. His final words, “It wasn’t Unions fault” – Union was the team his school was playing. The date; 1918, and the rest of season was canceled throughout the city after this death. Truly an interesting exhibition and just days before my husband’s high school football team takes the field in the 2nd round of play-offs, most timely to view. No lie, I loved it.

Assignment: Have a Happy Halloween filled with TREATS!

No comments: