Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Chair for Max

Each year our local library has a fundraiser called A Little Chair-ity. Local artists (and folks like me) paint children’s chairs to be auctioned off to raise money to purchase new children’s books. I have done it a few times and really enjoyed giving back in this manner when I have the time.

My daughter Megan has bid on a few of the chairs that I have painted. Interestingly enough, she hasn’t won because the bidding ended up growing out of her price range. I think she has a very low price range but still I am flattered. When Megan was pregnant with our first grandchild she asked if I would paint a chair once baby was born.

Sweet Baby Max was born on May 20th so the image for the chair was clear: Where the Wild Things Are was exactly what I wanted this little boy growing up reading and sitting on while he read.

He recently had his Holy Baptism and we gave him this chair as his gift.


Assignment: Encourage reading for the children in your life.

Oh come on - painting is the least I could do for this little cutie.
I had to change this just a bit from the book - I don't want to infringe on copywrite law
I like how little Max is in grey skis as he sails away but the jungle of his imagination is full of blue skies.


This is my favorite monster in the book - I think he is really Max. I love this story and I hope my sweet little Max grows up loving it too!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I love it! So cute! :)