Monday, December 17, 2012

Finding Hope

This week I am having a hard time forming words. The tragedy of the Sandy Hook Elementary murders is haunting. I truly grieve for the people of Newtown and like many, am lifting the first responders, the school, the families, the precious children, and the town up in my prayers. Even for a Christian, this tragedy is one that creates more questions than answers. I am seeking, searching, and hoping for resolve of some nature.

Sadly, what I am seeing within the world of social media is harsh, angry comments pointing blame and creating a divide. Our President of the United States has had to visit four communities in his one term in office to comfort and mourn the loss of lives taken in mass murders. Four visits to share the collective sorrow of our people in four short years.
How long will we continue to shout for a solution while we hold firm to our personal beliefs in what is right? Isn’t it time that we have a conversation around gun control, the mental healthcare system, not to mention the sensationalism of media and entertainment in American today? No one is saying that guns will be banned but seriously, why is it unacceptable to discuss the all too easy access to semi-automatic guns? Why is it not okay to have a discussion on why people would need guns of this caliber without screams that rights are being taken away?

Let me ask you this, if not a discussion on gun control – what is the answer? What will keep our streets safe? In my lifetime, I have encountered guns used in anger and ignorance on four separate occasions: The loss of my cousin to a foolish game of Russian Roulette, a high school drive with a good friend and her boyfriend who was carrying (unknown to us until the end of the night when we were told he was seeking revenge), a classmate who was shot and killed our senior year, and a friend who was sitting on her porch this past fall when caught in gang cross fire. The gang crossfire, by the way, was after a football game and it was between two 14-year old children. For the record, I grew up in middle class suburbia not the inner city.

I don’t want to restrict your second amendment in any way but I ask that you respect my rights to discuss solutions. I don’t ask that you agree with me but I ask that you understand my belief that no person outside of the military or law enforcement needs access to high powered semi-automatic weapons and massive amounts of ammunition. If you try to listen to me – I will try to listen to you. Perhaps in our listening we can find a solution for those who come after us.

Regarding mental health, can we agree that there are serious issues within our current system? Can we agree that there are countless levels of personality disorders and that we do not have a system to keep these people or their loved ones (and others) safe if these disorders grow to violent tendencies toward self or others? Can we stop turning a blind eye to this issue? Can we have a discussion on what is needed to break the social taboo that seeking help means that you are broken? This is at crisis level and something must be done. We are not discussing those who scam the system for personal gain, so put that tired defense away. We are speaking of those who need, want, and seek help but are turned away, unsure of what to do, or simply do not have access. If you don’t believe people or stories like this are true, call me for some very personal stories. I will share these if it will help this discussion begin.

Finally, I do want to say a few words about the troubling social media messaging that is saying this tragedy happened because we are a Godless culture. You are right; the world is Godless for the most part. Evil has and will continue to happen because God has given us freedom and choice. America is one of the most believing nations in the world, yet this and other tragedies continue to happen. Today, there will be another murder, a drunk driver, a suicide, a violation. Bad things happen. I pray they didn’t but this is what it is to be human. Called by Christ, our actions, deeds, and words are to help bear witness, mercy, forgiveness, love, and comfort. Let me ask you, what does your messaging say to a young Christian? What is it saying to a non-believer? Is it more of a taunting than comfort? Is it a “I told you so” instead of a let me help bring you bring peace? Brothers and Sisters in Christ, be careful your tongue is used to praise God and that we are used for His will. Am I making a judgment here, yes, yes, I am.

You know, you don’t have to agree with me on all or any of these points. That is My point. Even if we disagree, let’s do it with respect, love and a united desire for solution.

Assignment: Romans 5:3-4 3 Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Where there is Hope there is God. I pray we all keep our Hope Alive.

No comments: