Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Monday!

December 31, 2009 – New Year’s Eve: the traditional holiday where we proclaim: “Out with the old and in with the New!” A magical time where the world reflects on all of our shortcomings and vows that together we will strive to be better people. We will pay off debit, take care better care of ourselves, and take better care of others. Then we drink the night away because we all know the magic of a better life begins to wear off soon after the ball has dropped.

I personally gave up resolutions a long time ago. I feel there are enough opportunities for humility and failure in this world without self imposing unachievable standards on myself. Sure, I generally do well the first day or two but then the ugly stench of failure takes hold. I can’t handle that smell anymore. That is why in 2010 I will celebrate Mondays! Each Monday is like a mini New Year Day. Each Monday brings with it a chance to start a diet, begin to exercise, or welcome the work week with a happy smile. Plus, I have 52 Mondays a year which is much better than putting all of your hopes into one single night.

Yes, I think I am onto something genius with this New Monday tradition! I am sure that after nearly two full weeks of vacation, when that alarm goes off this coming Monday morning I will jump out of bed with joy and celebration in my heart. “Happy New Monday”, I will shout and prepare myself of the glorious week awaiting. And if that doesn’t work . . I will still have 51 more Monday’s to get it right.

Assignment: Resolve to do what makes you happy this year and if you fail – don’t give up because we all deserve second chances.

No comments: