Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Salon

She walked into the salon yielding her phone. She was mid-conversation. I glanced up, lending a slight smile because she demanded attention. Her hair was raven black. She was sporting expensive shoes, a leopard top with a cashmere sweater over it. She instructed the stylist to ‘make up her color while she made another phone call’, it was clear she wasn’t waiting for a reply.

While the stylist waited patiently for her to speak with her assistant, we all learned that she had just sent American Express $2,000 and their bill just didn’t make sense. She also barked out an array of computer problems she was experiencing, re-confirmed an up-coming surgery (August 25 as a matter of fact), and unleashed a string of complaints of just how dumb those she encounter were on a daily bases. For the rest of her visit, she made and received a number of calls and strutted around the salon as if it were her home.

By the quiver in her voice and the lines on her face, I would guess her to be in the late 60’s – mature enough to have an understanding of her actions on others.

I must confess the salon can give the illusion of a stage and I have found myself guilty of seeking the center of it. I have told witty stories knowing I have a captive audience. I have found myself speaking louder to overcome the sounds of the air conditioner, music, voices, and hair blowers. I have also heard stories - wickedly funny stories - and corporate secrets that shouldn’t been aired in public. Perhaps the environment creates this sense of entitlement – the pampering and self-indulgence. Perhaps, the salon is place of freedom and security – where all is told in confidence. Perhaps . . . .not?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Underneath it all, people like that are usually not as put together on the inside as they like to look on the outside. Fun to eavesdrop though...

Beth said...

You have tried to be the center of attention before? NO! I never would have guessed. Tee hee that woman sounds crazy, fun to watch at least, and I agree with Lisa, secretly so insecure inside. I'd rather be polite, not rich, clothes came from Walmart little old me any day.