Saturday, January 2, 2010

An Ode to Ms. Meryl Streep

Dearest Meryl,

I believe we first met in a small theater in Grand Haven, Michigan. I was in high school. A few friends and I had nothing to do so we went to the Grand Theater to see a little film called The Deer Hunter. I was moved. Our next encounter came in the form of Kramer vs Kramer. In the beginning, you seemed so heartless but I knew there was something deeper involved. The more you revealed the more I knew our relationship would grow.

It was easy to become one of your fans. Your abilities are deeper than mere acting. You actually become the role and in return, what I was watching became more than a movie. Through the years, and there have been many, I have made unimaginable choices with you, strived for immortality with you, and felt the wild rush of the river with you. If I am being honest, there were times when I hoped our visit would be a quick one. But it was never you – it was me, really my interests cannot always be adapted or come back from the edge. Okay, once it was you – She-Devil???

My dearest Meryl, this week I have had the pleasure of cooking with you and sharing in the many complications of life. Thank you for showing the world how beautiful age 60 can be on a woman. Thank you for once again making me laugh, cry, and contemplate. We began our friendship in 1978 and I hope that we have many more years together.


Fondly,
Nancy

Assignment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Streep

No comments: