Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Imagination

Today I spent a large percent of my drive behind a Buick Enclave. When we first met, the driver gracefully extended her gloved hand to toss a cigarette butt out the window. That movement alone created a full image of her in my mind. I imagined her to resemble Cruella from Disney’s 101 Dalmatians. I expected her dark hair to be piled atop of her head and her lips to be stained a vibrant red. Her facial features would be sharp – pointy even. She probably was multi-tasking while smoking, driving, drinking gourmet coffee, listening to the stock exchange, and laying out the day’s assignments for her over-worked and underpaid assistant.

That was fun and it killed about 20 miles of thoughts.

Then her gloved hand extended again to toss out another cigarette butt. Now my imagination became a quest to get a glimpse of Ms. Cruella. I bid my time until our travel routes would allow me to drive side-by-side this chain-smoking lady.

What a disappointment! She did not look like my mind’s design at all. She was a plump woman with permed and graying hair. She actually resembled one of the Fairy Godmothers from Sleeping Beauty. All she needed for that was a pointy hat with a scarf flowing from the tip.

Crushing!

Assignment: Sometimes it is best to leave the wonder in things alone.

No comments: